Van life is a trendy lifestyle choice that’s sweeping the nation. But living on the road can be difficult, and you might find yourself wondering how to live van life sustainably. The good news is, if you follow these five tips, then van life will be accessible and sustainable for you!
- Get a large vehicle– You need space and storage. But beware of going too big; vans can get expensive!
- Get the right vehicle– Get your high mileage, second-hand used car—no need to spend a fortune on a new vehicle.
- Stock up when you can– keep your vehicle stocked with food, clothes, and other essentials. Consider purchasing a camper van that converts into an apartment if you are not too keen on living in the outdoors.
- Focus on your commute– Get into the habit of driving to work/school and back. You can save money on gas that way.
- Move towards vans with zero emissions– The climate is changing, and people will need mobility alternatives in the future. Be part of the change and move towards sustainable options, like electric vans.
It may seem like a daunting task, but following these tips will help you transition into sustainable van life. So keep an open mind, move towards your goals, and have fun on the way!
How to Live Sustainably in Your Van
Sustainability is a popular topic these days, as more and more people become aware of the importance of living sustainably. Van life can be very sustainable, but only if you are careful about what you do and how you live. So if you are thinking about going van life, then avoid these common mistakes that could make your van life unsustainable:
- Not taking care of your van– Your van isn’t just a storage space, and you should take good care of it since it will be your home.
- Not planning your van life– It is essential that you plan out the lifestyle you want to have and then build a plan. You do not want to be caught unaware!
- Not having a goal for your van life– Knowing what you are trying to achieve is vital when making decisions in the future.
- Not knowing what you need– Don’t hesitate to ask others for advice; they will have valuable insight into your van life.
- Not being accessible– Being accessible is not just about the obvious things people think of, like accessibility for maintenance and repairs. It is also about being available to help others who may need a ride or some advice.
- Over-consumption– Living in a van is an affordable way to travel, but don’t forget why you are traveling and how to make responsible choices.
- Wasting water– Water is a precious resource, which you should save as much as possible.
- Not being sustainable– A big part of van life is living with less so that you can live more sustainably. So be smart with your choices and think about the future too! Have the best time living in your van and making the transition into sustainable van life!
How to Get Started in Van Life
Van life is one of many new trends sweeping the American landscape, and it is an increasingly common choice for young people who want to travel. So if you are wondering how you could get started in van life, here are some answers to common questions:
What do you need to get started in van life?
To be fully prepared, you need a vehicle (preferably a van), insurance, and a good amount of savings to fall back on.
How do you get started?
First, you should get rid of all the things you don’t need so that your van will be comfortable and easy to clean. The second step is to install safety features. Finally, it would be best if to get your vehicle registered and insured.
How do you save for your van life?
You can earn money for van life by holding onto low-paying jobs, like working as a camp counselor or babysitting. If you can’t find a job, look into getting scholarships or grants to help your education. You can also save money by thinking of alternative methods of transportation, like cycling or walking.
How do you keep your van in good condition?
That is a tough one, but remember to treat your vehicle well! Please keep it clean inside and out, and always make sure that you have the right amount of oil and water.
How should you approach living in a van?
A common misconception about van life is that it is expensive; however, this isn’t true! Van life is cheaper and saving money is easy when you’re living frugally and staying in one place for a while!
How do you get on with others in a van?
Sharing is caring, and you will make new friends as soon as you meet fellow van-dwellers! Meeting people worldwide is possible, so don’t be afraid to travel or get out of your van to find new places!
How do you go about buying a van?
Choosing the right van is essential, and you should think carefully before deciding on what type of vehicle to purchase. The Chevy Express and Ford Econoline vans are two popular models that people buy to make their Van Life dreams come true.
How do you make a living from your van?
You don’t need to settle for a tedious job when you can follow your dream and travel around the country! There are many ways to use your vehicle to earn money, like selling your crafts or services online. The possibilities are endless, so make sure that you do some research first!
How do you make sure not to get bored on your road trip?
You can overcome boredom by seeking out new experiences and share them with people back home. You can even use social media to share your photos and stories, just make sure to have internet access and your laptop or smartphone with you!
How do you get started in a van without money?
First, look into getting a job while saving up your money to afford a van sooner. It will help you build your experience, which will come in handy later.
How can you start a van life business?
You can also become a traveling salesperson, an Airbnb host, or even a camper!
How do you avoid sadness and loneliness?
Van life is about new experiences and meeting new people, so don’t forget to make friends! Through social media or travel, it is possible to meet people from around the world. That will help you with the loneliness that comes when you are constantly on the road!
How do you keep your stuff safe?
You can store your belongings in storage units or hidden spots when you aren’t driving. Remember to secure them and know where they are at all times!
How do you avoid making a lot of stops?
Try learning from other people’s mistakes! Planning is the key to success in van life. Your itinerary should include places that offer home-cooked meals, attractions, and other amenities that will make driving more convenient for you.
How do you decide on a route?
Use online maps to consider the distance and cost of your trip. Consider starting with a long road trip that’s cheaper and then working your way up to more expensive trips.
How do you make van life more comfortable?
Add a mattress that’s easy to carry, pillows, and other accessories to give yourself more space!
How do you cook in your van?
You can use a cooler to keep your food and groceries cool while you are traveling. Alternatively, you can also cook over a portable propane stove at rest stops or campsites!
How do you use the bathroom?
It’s essential to be discreet when using the bathroom for daily needs, but if that is not an option, look into portable toilet services or using chemical toilets available for rent.
What are your favorite apps?
Many apps can help you with van life. For example, the Camper Mode app can help you find campsites, and some apps allow you to track your expenses.
How do you stay organized?
Whether you prefer a more organized living space or one with less clutter, it’s essential to keep the van well-organized and clutter-free. Pack what is essential and invest in a small storage container for smaller items.
Van life is gratifying and can open up many opportunities that you may not have thought of before. Consider the big picture when worrying about daily matters. Take time to appreciate everything that is right in front of you, your traveling companions, and the things that bring you joy.
Van Life Jobs
Van Life can be a fantastic opportunity to live the lifestyle you want while making some money on the side. If you like that idea, it’s time to start thinking about how to make a living on the road and which occupation would best fit your daily routine. Here are some ways you can earn a living while traveling in your van:
- Create a Side Hustle– What do you do for fun? Are you passionate about photography, writing, or cooking? If so, finding a way to monetize your passion could lead to a sustainable side hustle.
- Become an Airbnb Host– This will require you to set up an Airbnb account and have a decent amount of space available in your van. That is more of an option if you are living full-time in your van.
- Turn Your Van into a Business– You can rent out your storage space, car, or van to earn a steady income. A popular site for this is MovieVan.
- Rent out Your Car– With some research, you could end up earning more than you would by running an Airbnb! Just make sure to use the right site and do all of the background checks and paperwork necessary before listing your vehicle.
- Get a Vanpool– This is a fabulous way to meet new people and make money at the same time. You can use sites like GoRideShare or Turo to find rides in vans, which can be a fun experience.
- Become a Camp Counselor– While this one may not be the most obvious way to make money, working as a camp counselor can be quite lucrative. You can find jobs online and use sites like JustHired to find local job opportunities.
- Run Trips Out of Your Van– If you plan to live in your van indefinitely, it could work for you to have multiple income streams. That will help you avoid relying on a single source of income.
- Make and Sell Crafts– This is an excellent option if you create crafts as a hobby anyway! You can sell your wares at events and get creative with your selling options.
- Become a Tour Guide– If you are entering the tourism business, it’s essential to do your research to provide a quality service at all times.
- Sell Your Skills– If you are an expert in something many people need, put that expertise to use! As an example, if you are a mechanic, consider doing freelance work while on the road.
- Start a Business Online– Build an online business and earn residual income through ads or affiliate links! Online businesses are easier to start than you think.
- Sell Your Lifestyle– If you’re living in your van full-time, you must consider that you will become the caught person. It means that people will stop to chat and ask for advice and suggestions. You can be a resource to those people as well as earn some cash!
- Become an RV Salesperson– Many companies are hiring for this position, so it would be wise to start looking now for opportunities to get into the business of selling RVs.
These are some of the ways you can make a living while on the road! You should research, make a business plan, and be sure to think that earning the van life is proper for you. It’s hard work to maintain a vehicle (and a life!), but if you love what you are doing, it can be an enriching experience!